Station Designation: Station No. 6 (A)
Address/Cross Street: Wilson Ave near Jackson St.
Architect: Owsley and Boucharle
Date Opened: December 9, 1896
Date Closed: November 28, 1960
Number of Bays: 1 originally then expanded to 2
Apparatus Stationed: Hose and Engine Company No. 6
When this station went into service on December 9, 1896, it was identical to stations 4 and 5 (A). The station resided on the southside of Wilson Ave. near Jackson. As time progress the city saw the need for additional equipment due to the long distances from the other stations by horse to this area. A second bay was added to house a steamer. The station was closed on November 28, 1960 when the new Station 6 (B) opened and demolished sometime after.
Station No. 6 (A) Pre-Demolition. Photos by Morris Haggerty.