Station Designation: Station No. 5 (B)
Address/Cross Street: 1524 Oakland Ave (Between Superior Ave. and Jefferson St.)
Builder: Katzman Construction Co.
Construction Began: Week of April 20, 1949
Date Opened: October 15, 1949
Date Closed: April 15, 1990
Number of Bays: 1
Apparatus Stationed: Engine 5
Link to Auditors Information
Station 5 was opened on October 15, 1949. It was built at a cost of $47,000. It is a mirror image of Station 2 (B) which was built later the next year. On April 15, 1990 the station was closed due to city budget problems. There was talk of housing the fire department ambulance in the station but it was eventually sold and is now home to the Black Knights Police Association. It was often known as the Briar Hill Fire Station.